Sunday, February 07, 2010

Menudo from Taqueria Tlaquepaque, San Jose

Menudo

Yes, I'm intentionally eating Mexican food again. I'm in San Jose after all, and what could be more fitting to eat here than Mexican food? Well, maybe Vietnamese food. And coincidentally enough, this bowl of menudo came out in a jaw-droppingly gigantic phở bowl; I was expecting something maybe only a third of its size.

Actually, I wasn't sure what to expect from this place (721 Willow St at Delmas, 408-287-9777). The name made me think that it was some beatup little taco shop, but when I got inside, it turned out to be a sit-down place...complete with combo platters. Fortunately, there were some special items on the menu, particularly this menudo, which was only available on weekends until 3 PM.

It was delicious. Unlike my first time, I now remembered to load up on the cilantro, onions, lemon, and chili peppers (sounds like phở, eh?). And while I'm normally not huge on tendons, the ones in here were stewed to such a degree of softness that I didn't mind eating them together with the tripe and hominy inside. I still prefer pozole, but I can totally see why this spicy thin broth would make for perfect hangover medicine.

1 comment:

Rambling Exile said...

Mmm ... Mexican food. How I miss it. We enjoyed Los Dos Comprades in Campbell (on Hamilton Ave) last time we were in the Bay Area.

Looking forward to some pho posts.

Nicole in Singapore