Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Salad Shop, UOB Plaza, Singapore

My Salad

When I first saw the comments suggesting this place, I thought it was a typo, mistakenly referring to the new Raffles Place outlet of Salad Stop! at the bottom of OUB Centre. It was only by sheer luck that I happened to be walking by UOB Plaza instead and noticed that there really was a place called The Salad Shop (80 Raffles Place #01-20, 6536-3686). Talk about confusing names!

Well, this place was a lot better than I thought it would be. They had a good selection of ingredients (mmm...grilled eggplant!), offered smoothies that Mescluns didn't have, and moved quickly enough that the wait was easily bearable. I still prefer Mescluns given some of the more specialized ingredients that I like, but if I'm caught in the middle of the busy lunch hour, I'll probably come here instead in order to avoid Mescluns' crowds.

Still, I'm not completely won over by the form-based system here. There's an odd clumping of people at the head of the line, trying to find hard surfaces on which to tick off checkboxes on those paper forms before handing them in. (I'd much rather select ingredients visually anyway.) Either way, the process kept moving, and the selection was wide enough that I could pretty much create the taste I wanted, so I'll be coming back. Thanks for the tip!

No comments: