Monday, December 28, 2009

Istanbul Epilogue: Lokum Turkish Delights

Lokum Turkish Delights

I chuckled a bit when I was told a few weeks ago to bring back some "Turkish delight" when I was in Istanbul. Only later did I realize that Turkish delight was a real product called lokum, and was basically a soft candy of sorts. I thus made my way down to the original location of Ali Muhiddin Hacı Bekirhacı (Hamidiye Caddesi 83, 0212-522-0666), where the stuff was invented a couple hundred years ago, and picked up a box to bring back.

Only the following day did I realize that I could have just waited until getting to the airport, as the shops there were overflowing with this brand's stuff, and even had these huge sample plates available for you to try each flavor. And to this sweet-averse palate's surprise, it was hard to stop eating the coconut and pistachio variety that I brought home. Still, I won't go out of my way to buy another box again...except perhaps to see if the fresh stuff directly from the shop tastes much better than the packaged version.

2 comments:

Luanne said...

Wow, you went to Turkey! Been following your blog on and off for a few months now, after I discovered it accidentally, trying to look for a place to take a friend who was visiting. I must say I've been extremely entertained. I'm a foodie like you and love traveling and exploring as well. I like to cook, too, and recently got inspiration to start a food blog but I'm finding myself blocked and can't seem to write anything!

Anyway, safe travels and happy eating! :)

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say hello, and say thanks for all the time you spend on your site. happy new year, sir. Be safe in all your travels. now I am hungry...