Friday, December 25, 2009

Develi Kebap, Istanbul, Turkey

Fistikli Kebap

This being my first time to Turkey, there are a million things that I want to try. But the quintessential dish that I had to get was some form of kebabs, and I came to this shop (Gümüşyüzük Sokak 7, 0212-529-0833) because it had a long history here. It turned out to be a bit more touristy than I thought it would be.

Nonetheless, I got an order of fistikli kebap, which was basically minced meat with bits of pistachio in it. The grilled exterior was a bit firmer than I was expecting, but inside it was still juicy and hit the spot, especially since it was paired with those raw onions and grilled tomatoes. (While that chili pepper looks burnt in the photo, it was tender and green inside without any scorched bitterness, and in fact was very mild in flavor rather than being particularly spicy.)

Still, I think I prefer Persian koobideh instead, even if this was arguably more sophisticated. The Turkish ayran yogurt drink was also thicker and less exciting to me than Persian doogh. But I really liked that potent-tasting sheep's milk cheese that came with the flatbread - I could eat that all day!

No comments: