Saturday, August 01, 2009

Xi Xiang Feng Yong Tau Foo, Ang Mo Kio

Yong Tau Foo

We came up here (724 Ang Mo Kio Ave 6 #01-23) because we were told by loyal 20-year customers of this stall that it was even better than some of the other yong tau foo places that we've been eating at recently. And there certainly was a loyal customer base. Even at 10 AM, there was a long line that had formed. It was a bit of an interesting system: pick your ingredients first, and then get in the long line to wait for them to cook it.

Eventually, we got our bowls, and we could see why this place was so popular. The spiciness of the chili sauce woke me right up, and I didn't even really mind the sweet brown sauce too much, even if it's something that I normally pass on. The soup was filled with tons of soybeans too, giving it a respectable beany taste. And it was dirt cheap too, with our bowls costing only about S$3 (US$2).

But I still prefer Orchard Yong Tau Fu. I like the wide and fresh selection of ingredients there, as well as the super friendly staff. And the soup at Orchard had a nice peppery spike to it, whereas this one was a tad sweet. Sure, I'll be willing to put up with the long lines here if I'm in the neighborhood again. But my first choice would be for Orchard.

1 comment:

Tom said...

Rude And Unscrupulous Hawkers From Xi Xiang Feng Yong Tau Foo stall In Ang Mo Kio

I ordered from this Xi Xiang Feng Yong Tau Foo stall in Ang Mo Kio two weeks ago, getting myself a 6-items bowl, consisting of seaweed chicken, tau pok, bean curd, cutter fish and kang kong and bee hoon, and I was charged $3.70.

Last week, I bought the same 6-items bowl and was charged $3.80. I politely questioned the male hawker about the price increase, to which he resorted, "There is no increase leh." And I kept quiet.

Today (31st March 2018), I purposely selected the same 6 items and to my nasty surprise, I was charged $4. I requested him to calculate again, informing him that I had been wrongly charged because in the past the prices were $3.70 and $3,80 respectively for the same items. Upon hearing that, the two male hawkers manning the stall turned nasty and hysterious, scolding me for making an enquiry and rudely told me not to patronise their stall again.

I ended up paying $4 for the bowl of Yong Tau Foo, wondering if there is an organisation which controls price discrepancies especially for food items that do not come with price tags.