Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Salumi Artisan Cured Meats, Seattle

Salumi Muffo

Yep - this was that Batali family sandwich shop where Bourdain did his show at a few years back (309 Third Avenue South, 621-8772). I made sure that I made a beeline straight for this place upon leaving the airport, especially since they are only open Tuesday to Friday from 11 AM to 4 PM. Indeed, I arrived just before 11 AM and there was already a line forming at this narrow little shop in the Pioneer Square area.

Fortunately, they came out with a plate of samples to tease us while we waited patiently in line inhaling the wonderful aroma that emanated from the place. I ended up grabbing a "muffo," which I assume was short for a muffeletta, featuring a variety of meat and cheese with some kind of an olive spread in ciabatta-like bread. The quality of ingredients made this thing a breeze to eat as I inhaled this thing in seconds.

But combining all of those different types of cured meat meant that it was harder to taste the qualities of each type on its own, so next time I'm going to try some of the more dedicated sandwiches. I guess I was hoping to taste more of the spiciness of the finnochiona that they handed out in this morning's samples, but its taste got lost amidst all of the other flavors going on in that muffo.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think a sandwich and a glass of tea, beer or lemonade is God's gift to humanity on a warm summer afternoon. A thick slice of homegrown tomato, alot of mayo and black pepper ( and a slice of chese or ham, if you must). It dont get much better than that.