Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Only Thing I Get at Ohsho: F Set

F Set

Ohsho is a big chain of ramen shops from Japan, and the Singapore outlet (5 Koek Road #01-10, 6735-7068) used to be a regular haunt of mine until a few years ago, when all of those other ramen shops started popping up. After that, there was never really too much reason to keep going there, especially since I was never a huge fan of Ohsho's ramen to begin with.

Still, after a brutally late night in the office, I came back for the first time in several years. This was in part because I knew that they were open late, but also because there were two things on Ohsho's menu that many other shops haven't really been able to beat: the chahan and gyoza, which incidentally are bundled in one convenient "F Set." All of that other stuff on their menu is really just noise to me now.

And even after all of these years, the chahan continued to be one of the better ones that I've had. It's done just right: rich and full of smoky aroma without being too heavy on the grease. Too bad the gyoza tonight were overdone, but that didn't matter, as my priority was really on the chahan. It was good to see that the same chef was still there after all of these years too.

5 comments:

Rona Y said...

I don't know if it's as good in Singapore (even in Japan the different Ohsho outlets vary in quality), but I always ordered the set with fried rice, gyoza, and chicken karaage. I really like their karaage (even though they usually use breast meat--cheaper in Japan!), though I've not been there in a few years, so I don't know if it's still as good.

D said...

Looks like a good F

foodbin said...

looks fulfilling-price?

Anonymous said...

mmmmm, looks good. At first I thought, well, chilles filled with ground meat,then I thought, no, something else... large tortinille, no. Fish tacos, ... no. meat pies ... no .any way I am hungry and that is a bad thing. chef boyradee is Haute quisene at this point. Thank You, sir. I guess I will just boil a hotdog. Bless you.
Tom (Been readinng your site for a few years)

emy said...

There's a good ramen place @ Central (level 3) & now with a branch at Liang Court (level 2).

You can't miss it. They have mostly ramen on menu with some condiments. Love it to bits.

Find it better than the one at Gallery Hotel.