Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Snack Nook at Slots-A-Fun, Las Vegas

Giant 1/2 Pound Hot Dog and Bowl of Chili

Ever-tacky Las Vegas isn't exactly someplace I'd go to look for unique local food, but there was one destination that was at the top of my list: Slots-A-Fun next to Circus Circus. What was the big deal about this place? They're known for having this giant half pound hot dog for only 99 cents (2890 Las Vegas Boulevard South, 836-6761).

Mind you, 99 cents only gets you the wiener, bun, and access to the mustard and ketchup on the counter. If you want onions or relish, that's 25 cents more. If you want chili, cheese, sauerkraut, or jalapenos, then that's 75 cents more. I was just attracted to the thought of a revoltingly nasty but giant hot dog, and had to come see it for myself.

In the end, the taste of the dog itself wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. But in the world of cheap hot dogs, I'd prefer Gray's Papaya instead (or even a Costco hot dog, for that matter). And no, that bowl of chili on the side there wasn't anything to write home about either.

2 comments:

ella fae said...

This kind of reminds me of "25¢ Hot Dog Night" at the local baseball stadium. The hot dogs are pretty tasteless (though at least all the condiments are free) but they're 25¢ and it's hard to pass it up.

brad m said...

Your review summed up these hot dogs up perfectly. I don't know why ,but like a magnet i always get drawn to slots. last time my bun was soggy and i still ate it..Try the pizza's at the subway there, fantastic late night food....