Saturday, April 05, 2008

Wild Rocket at Mount Emily, Singapore

Crabmeat Linguini with Chili Tomato Cream

I resisted coming here (10A Upper Wilkie Road, 6339-9448) for a very long time, in part because I'm not a big fan of fusion, but also because this place was generating so much buzz that I figured that it was totally overhyped. The fact that its sister restaurant featured burgers with horrendously thick patties - a huge pet peeve of mine - did little to reassure me.

But after finally giving it a try, I realized that I had jumped to the wrong conclusion. All of the pasta was done perfectly firm, and the intrusion of chili pepper flakes on the crabmeat linguini did not feel out of place at all. The signature laksa pesto linguini featured impressively fresh and firm prawns too (but beware if you're not accustomed to the taste of laksa leaf as the green pesto is based on it).

I haven't tried many of their main courses so I can't really speak for those, but the pastas worked for me. Why did they ditch the creamy mushroom pasta though? When I first came here a few months back, that was one of my favorites, especially with all of the aroma from the truffle oil. Today it was served without cream; it was still enjoyable, but I miss the richness of the previous version.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm not a huge fan of fusion food either. sometimes it works and sometimes it just doesn't. i did like 'nooch' though before it disappeared.

Anonymous said...

ps cafe originated laksa pesto and i believe the owner or chef of this wild rocket plagiarized the idea for its own claim.

Unknown said...

Try Persimmon at the Link Hotel... the laksa pesto as well as the laksa fisherman pie is excellent!

Anonymous said...

hi! may i know what are the prices like at wild rocket? my fren happens to dig crabmeat linguine. been wanting to check out that place after all those hype.

Anonymous said...

PS Cafe is soooo overrated!

Anonymous said...

I have tried both the Tomato cream crabmeat linguini and Laksa pesto linguini. The later was too powdery and plain. My friends and I felt bored after eating half of them. It was quite a disappointment. The location itself is also not convenient if you don't drive.