Monday, March 10, 2008

Gobi Manchurian from Annalakshmi

Gobi Manchurian and Jeera Rice

Contrary to how it might sound, the first half of Gobi Manchurian is not a reference to the desert bordering Manchuria, but rather the Hindi word for cauliflower. Yep, this Chindian dish basically consists of deep-fried cauliflower sauteed in a red "Chinese" sauce. I'm not a big fan of it due to the sweet and sour taste, but at least it's spicy.

This was from the pay-what-you-want Annalakshmi, which has since moved from the Excelsior over to Chinatown Point (133 New Bridge Road #B1-102, 6339-9993). It might seem weird to find an Indian restaurant there, but what's even more peculiar is the fact that it is tucked all the way behind a back passageway where no one would really go unless you have to go to the bathroom or something. The obscure location - nor soiled tablecloths - didn't seem to deter many people though, as it was packed tonight.

I did grab one other interesting thing: neer moor, a greenish buttermilk drink featuring ground ginger and curry, of all things. I really liked it. It reminded me a bit of sambharam, but with a very pronounced ginger taste. While I won't be going for the Gobi Manchurian again, I am coming back to Annalakshmi.

1 comment:

JOjo said...

I did try their buffet line,available on Weekends. Pretty decent,not many varieties but it's quite nice.