Monday, August 20, 2007

Wakashachiya Curry Udon, Singapore

Age-nasu Curry Udon

I read about this place over the weekend, but I can't remember which publication it was (presumably the Straits Times?). Tonight, I was passing by The Central on my way home, so I stopped by to check it out. Located next door to Marutama Ramen, these guys (6 Eu Tong Sen Street #03-92, 6534-9984) specialized in kare udon.

So that's exactly what I ordered, with the added option of some age-nasu on top. The thought of a curry-based broth never really struck home with me before, so I wasn't expecting much. But this turned out to be better than I thought it would be. The most striking part was the quality of the ingredients, ranging from the rich-tasting eggplant to the firm noodles and even the slices of leek inside. The curry, while looking like a pale gooey mess in the photo, was actually decently spicy (for a Japanese curry, anyway).

Well, again, it was the quality of the ingredients that I liked, and that will be the thing to bring me back. I also want to try the hitsu-mabushi, which was some kind of a unagi don-like thing from Nagoya that one is supposed to split into four parts to make stuff like an ochazuke-derivant of it. Sounds interesting.

7 comments:

Claudio Costa said...

Beautiful photos...

Anonymous said...

Hi,what cameraphone are you using to take your photos? They're really nice.

Anonymous said...

If you like Jap curry, try Curry Favor at Stamford House (close to City Hall MRT). Their curry doesn't taste like it came out of a box. And really, beware of the spicy version; it was too hot even for my Indonesian palate.

Anonymous said...

I think the curry udon looks like bowl of brown glue.


__________--

Curry Favor was good when it started. The standard somehow pummeled badly after all the rave reviews and hype.

The last time i went the curry was lukewarm - yucks

Anonymous said...

Curry Favor still has the best japanese curry i feel.... every dining experience is good

Anonymous said...

Wakashachiya Curry Udon is gone from Central! *sob sob*
Wonder where can I find such good curry udon and unagi in Singapore.

Anonymous said...

I was hoping they are going to re-open somewhere but it looks like they are not... I miss the unagi and curry udon of Wakasachiya too
:(((((