Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Meng Kee Char Siew, Kuala Lumpur

Char Siew

Yay! Meng Kee (13 Tengkat Tong Shin) was open this time! I was getting a bit worried too since I was arriving after 2 PM, but they still had plenty of char siew hanging in the glass case when I arrived, so there were no problems. Just as I remembered it, this stuff was great ("pork-flavored candy with a greasy aftertaste," as I like to put it).

Now, the meat was a little tougher today than I seem to recall (and there was a strand of human hair on my plate too), but none of that really mattered in the end, as I still gobbled this stuff up quickly, which is particularly impressive for a guy who really doesn't like sweet-tasting things either.

They have chicken rice here too, but I didn't bother with any of that, especially since they give you some of the rice and soup anyway. The hot sauce surprised me; it was a bit more like a Mexican salsa, with chunky bits in a thin and mildly sour juice that went well with the rice. The standard issue dragon breath alert still applies though.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was just in KL two weeks ago to look at some properties, the agent took me to a restaurant that served, without a doubt, the best Char Siew I have ever eaten. It was at the Oversea Restaurant on Jalan Imbi. It's very moist, very unlike the stuff one typically gets in S'pore (with the exception of Sarawak Kolo Mee which is just about the best thing you can do with a pig)

Anonymous said...

Char Siew looks great..!! Never really thought of "great" char siew .. till i am here in Canada.. without any good ones... to buy. I mean.. char siew was char siew.. when i was home.. but now.. i can't wait to go home.. and visit.. and compare what good char siews there are out there.. ;) I sure miss Asia..!

verywanderful said...

KL has the best Char Siew and Bak Kut Teh. Recently I found a Char Siew Store at Keong Saik Road in Singapore. Go around 12 - 1230 noon. The bbq Char Siew is freshly bbq and serve to your plate.

Anonymous said...

perhaps you could also try the char siew at Toh Kee at the first floor of People's Park Complex