Saturday, September 16, 2006

Tung Lok Group on SQ Executive Economy Class

Wok-fried beef in black pepper sauce with garlic, vegetables, dry shrimp, and steamed rice

SQ is still running its International Culinary Panel (even in economy class), and today's featured chef was Sam Leong from Singapore's Tung Lok Group of restaurants. His exclusive creation today was "wok-fried beef in black pepper sauce with garlic, vegetables, dry shrimp, and steamed rice." I've never been a huge fan of the Tung Lok group, so this was a little better than I was expecting, with a fair amount of flavor coming from both the beef and veggies. That was also my gripe though, as the flavors were a bit too strong; a touch too much black pepper on the beef, and a touch too much of the shrimp in the veggies. Then again, in a pressurized cabin at 35,000 feet in the air, I guess I'd rather have a taste that's too strong rather than one that's too bland.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

[Long time reader, 1st time poster]

I saw in a documentary on airline cooking that airline food (rather than the prepackaged stuff) is generally overspiced because at 35,000 feet (or whatver the pilot chooses to cruise at), your tastebuds are "deadened", and you need to overspice to compensate for that.

Personally, I would prefer to have slightly blander food on the plane as the spices could catch up to you once you land.