Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Founder Rou Gu Cha Cafeteria

Bak Kut Teh

This is one of my favorite bak kut teh places on the entire island (347 Balestier Road, 6352-6192), mainly because they have an option for you to get the entire rib rather than it being chopped up into smaller pieces. Admittedly, it doesn't seem to make that much of a difference in taste (although today's did seem a bit fattier), but this guy makes the peppery variety of the broth that I like.

I was a bit surprised that he didn't give any garlic cloves though, and I wish that the salted vegetables were a touch more sour rather than having that mild tinge of sweetness that they exhibited tonight. In that sense, I suppose that Ya Hua has an edge up on this place, although I don't think that Ya Hua gives the full-rib option.

Anyway, like most bak kut teh places, these guys are open late, making this place great for post-drinking episodes. I don't know why they have the word "cafeteria" in the name, but these guys appear to be rather famous, with pictures of celebrities from HK/Taiwan plastered on the walls. The drawback of course is that lines sometimes form here too. Sure, I suppose it may be a bit overrated in that sense, but it's not unfounded either. I'm still happy to come here.

3 comments:

pineapplemalibu said...

ya hua does give the 'full rib' option, as do most places. you have to ask for 'pai goot' and they would know it refers to full ribs.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I came across your blog, and I'm starving just looking at all the pictures. Quite the opposite from you, I'm a Singaporean living in Hollywood. I work at Bon Appetit magazine, possibly the best job ever for a foodie. Great job, and I'll be checking in often!

Raiken said...

you can try Ah Peng Bak Kut Teh at Tiong Bahru then. they give you the full rib option without you having to request for it.