Monday, March 13, 2006

Marrybrown Malaysian Fried Chicken

Marrybrown 2 Piece Set

This was interesting. I popped up to the restaurant area up at Terminal 2 of Changi Airport today before entering the transit area, and I saw this fried chicken place called Marrybrown. I suspected this might have been a Malaysian chain, and indeed it was, so I went ahead and gave it a shot.

It was surprisingly good...in some ways better than KFC. The skin was very crispy, light, and tasty, while the meat inside was moist and tender. It wasn't too excessively localized or anything (like Ramly Burgers are). Instead, just like the Colonel, they had two flavors: Original and "Hotouch," which to my surprise, didn't taste like the Malaysian rendang-like spices I would have imagined. It was very straightforward, as was the cole slaw.

They did have some natural menu deviations, like chili sauce packets, teh tarik (a Malaysian "pulled" tea), and some vegetable salad or something, but otherwise this was kinda like KFC, complete with mashed potatoes and even burger-versions of fried chicken. I was impressed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

U should also try Popeye's fried chicken at T2.. Quite nice :)JF

Anonymous said...

Arnold's fried chicken
http://www.arnoldsfriedchicken.com/