Saturday, March 18, 2006

Chico's & Charlie's

Chips & Salsa, Frozen Margarita, and Shredded Beef Tacos

After all that discussion about Mexican food in Singapore, I headed down to Chico's & Charlie's (Orchard Parade Hotel #01-13, 6235-5495) to give it a shot (it looks like it is run by the guys over at Harry's). Compared to everything else that I've had recently, this place got off on the right foot. The chips and salsa were fresh (although paid for rather than complimentary), hot sauces from Mexico were sitting on the table, and the portions were generous. This was loads better than all those other "Mexican" places around here. I was impressed.

Hot sauces from MexicoAt the same time, this was not a home run either. The tacos were drizzled with some sour cream to look pretty (it reminds me of some Tex-Mex chain restaurants that I despise), which forced me to have to use a knife and fork to eat these rather than using my hands. The shredded beef in the tacos also seemed to have been simmered with some salsa and maybe even canned jalapenos; I wish they had done straight beef grilled on a fire instead (and in much smaller quantities before you add your choice of your own fresh garnishings) - like they do on the streets of Mexico for US$1. Well, all things considered, this probably still moves to the top of my list for Mexican places in Singapore. It's good to have found a half-decent contender.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool..!! you went to Chico's and Charlie's..!!! good to know that they are still around.. :)
I like the service alot though.. when i was in singapore.. but i guess after so long.. the ppl who might have worked there.. may no longer be there.. :)

shakester said...

ok - so you like spicy stuff right? what are your reccomendations for spicy sauces??? (to buy)

bma said...

Good question. I don't know; I've never really found just one hot sauce that I got hooked on. Any suggestions?

All I can say is, beware of Dave's Ultimate Insanity. That thing will burn your face off, let alone being able to taste anything.

Anonymous said...

Hi hi,

You should also give Cafe Iguana a try. That's pretty good too.

shakester said...

dunno. expected there to be a few spicy asian sauces here, but most of the chilli sauces we have had here are either mild or just a little spicy. We got one local one from Mustafa, though which is not too bad.
Think we will try the Chipotle Mexican spicy sauce soon 9dunno if it is habanero though). The habanero Tabasco is quite good...

shakester said...

and oh by the way thanks for that link. I always remembered you had apost on a sauce face-off but could not remember the sauces [ I had even left a comment but that was back in the days you did not write comments yourself:)]

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! Now, whenever my friends and I aren't able to find a good food place (read "good food" place), we turn to your blog for inspiration.

Anonymous said...

I think you should give Magarita's a try . Last i had the mexican there , it was pretty good .There are 2 outlets now , one at Faber Garden ( near Clementi) and the other at East Coast.
Recall Chico's and Charlie's being a bit too commercialized, and margarita's was more fulfilling , but its been a long time since i've been there

Sandeep said...

after finding the information on your blog we went to Chico's & Charlie's & it was very good experience with mexican food after long time ..thanks for sharing the info !!

Sandeep said...

After whole good 1 year I went to the place again and found that the place is no more :( ..the restaurant is not there anymore...they have closed that place...I was very much disappointed as I went there without checking and also lost an opportunity to eat good Mexican food :(