Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Boon Tong Kee on Balestier Road

Boon Tong Kee Chicken Rice

I didn't mean to eat chicken rice two days in a row, but I've been working late this week, so it was just convenient to hit a late night chicken rice shop tonight. This is also one of the more well-known places around the island, with multiple locations. Interestingly, the locations will vary a bit, with the one on River Valley doing weird things like putting your rice in a pyramid shape. Tonight, I hit the one at 401 Balestier Road.

I must say, this was one of the juiciest chicken rice platters I've ever had. But the standout here was the rice - probably one of the tastiest. Oddly, the scallions were crudely shopped on the side rather than shredded, but it was still pretty good. Anyway, my preference is still for Tian Tian Chicken Rice, but this place was open late tonight, and I just needed to put something in my stomach before going home.

4 comments:

jovanda said...

I just left a comment and then I saw this new post of yours. I think Boon Tong Kee sucks. At least the one in River Valley does. Serving the rice in a pyramid is not gonna make me not notice that it's bland and dry. I wandered a few doors down to eat roti prata after that disappointing dinner.

Anonymous said...

there is a nice chicken rice at yishun central, at the Palm View food court.

If you ask around, people will direct you there.
The rice is very gd.

Tym said...

I suspect the quality of Boon Tong Kee food varies from outlet to outlet. The Katong one also does the pyramid-of-rice thing and the food is quite bland. Ditto River Valley, as calico jam's observed. But I keep hearing good things about the original Balestier outlet. I'd like to think maybe the chief cook is still in charge there, which keeps standards high?

If you like the oily variety of white chicken rice, an excellent place is the chicken rice stall on the second floor of the hawker centre at Margaret Drive.

Anonymous said...

I used to drive VIPs and HK movie stars to the River Valley Outlet when I was still an active BG several years back. Weel that was before I was promoted to a desk job to train and manage other BGs. It used to be that the VIPs and movies stars would head straight for that Outlet for chicken rice, direct from the airport. Of late BG Mission Reports indicated that most have skipped that ritual. I wonder why and decided to go and find out. Ten minutes later I got my answer. Their customer service used to be 99% perfect, at least during my days, has gone to below 25%.

When I arrived at the outlet, on one fine day I let the staff know I was there and choose to sit outside the restaurant. It was only half full as the time was 1145 hrs well be the lunch peak hour. But after waiting for 9 minutes and 30 seconds with no sign of any service staff coming in my direction anytime soon, I decided to leave. Back in those days when an entourage of 9 VIPs jammed into a full house restaurant with up to about 12 take-ways orders in hand, the crew was able to take our oders in less then 2 munites from the time we entered the premises.
I guess time has changed. I hope they will improve their customer service level soon so that VIPs and HK movies stars can return to enjoy this exceptional chicken rice treat once again.

The movie stars in particular refers to the BTK chicken rice as the best in Singapore when they spoke to their love ones in HK as I drove them from the restaurant after the meal.