Monday, January 16, 2006

Coriander Leaf, Clarke Quay

Labneh/Youghurt Cheese Dip

This place bills itself as "The New Asian Food Hub" (3A River Valley Road #02-03 Clarke Quay, 6732-3354), with things like Southeast Asian food and Indian food. Normally I'm not a huge fan of such a kitchen trying to cover so much ground, but apparently this is kinda of a cooking school too. Actually, what really brought me here today was the fact that they also serve Persian food for some strange reason. And with the disappointing experiences I've had in Singapore so far, I had to see if this place could provide any form of respite.

Icy cold tomato gazpacho, tian of blue swimmer crab with watermelon sandwichAnd fortunately, it did. We started with the "icy cold tomato gazpacho, tian of blue swimmer crab with watermelon sandwich," which was a bit surprising when it arrived as the gazpacho soup was in a tiny little shot glass, and instead accompanied by these chichi-looking things that I normally frown upon as being too snotty. But they tasted pretty good, including the "watermelon sandwich." Next we moved to the labneh, which seemed more airy (whipped?) and lighter than some that I had in Dubai, but this was still good.

Chelo Kebab - marinated beef brochettes, Persian buttered rice, grilled cherry tomatoes, sumac

Finally, I got the thing that I originally came here for: Persian kebabs. The portions were much smaller than I was hoping for, there were no raw onions available, and I wish the kebabs were left just slightly longer on the fire, but this was definitely light years ahead of that nasty Samar place. The rice was oustanding with the butter flavor, and the kebabs even had somagh sprinkled on it. Although I'd still prefer to hit Dubai or West LA instead, this is clearly the best that I've had in Singapore so far. Wow - nice job.

The prices weren't cheap here, but this would be a great place for a business lunch, as the food is good, and the second floor location provides a good atmosphere. It looks like they also do catering as well as some "corporate bonding / team building" in the cooking environment, so maybe we can even have a company party here one of these days.

No comments: