Sunday, December 25, 2005

"Sichuan Flosss Supreme" at Bread Talk

Floss??

Someone once mentioned to me that Bread Talk, a local chain of bakeries across the island, is a bit like the Krispy Kreme of Singapore. I suppose that is not far from the truth, although obviously the goods here have a more Asian taste to it. Today I noticed a sign promoting a "wickedly spicy Sichuan Flosss [sic] Supreme," which sounded interesting.

At first I was a bit dismayed by the appearance and the mildly sweet sauce sitting underneath the floss (BTW, "floss" is what they call this fluffy dry shredded pork stuff here - it's a revolting way to describe it, but it tastes much better than it sounds). It also wasn't "wickedly spicy" ("mildly spicy" is more like it), and it hardly had the numbingness of traditional Sichuan. But after digging into it, I was still pretty satisfied, as the roll underneath was light and airy with the right combination of sweet (a bit like King's Hawaiian bread) and savory flavors. I actually liked it enough that I almost went back for another one...and this is coming from a guy who normally doesn't eat too much bread.

No comments: