Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Shinryoku Yakitori Restaurant

Asupara Maki

I had passed by here quite a few times after leaving Chuan, and had always wanted to come check it out (8 Purvis Street, 6338-8472). But only when I came inside tonight did I realize that this is actually the same yakitori joint that I used to frequent on Liang Siah Street across from Bugis before they shut down (and fortunately I discovered the pleasure of Nanbantei not long after). I guess they moved over here...and I didn't even realize it until now.

From left: kawa and nasu

Then again, I wasn't really missing out on that much, as I was reminded of today. A couple items, like the chicken and the shiitake, simply could have used a longer time on the fire to bring out a little more flavor. The service was dog slow (and inattentive - they didn't even realize that my drink was empty), and the air conditioning hardly worked tonight.

But to be fair, many items were still worthwhile. The asupara maki was nearly done just right, with a good amount of bang from the bacon. The kawa chicken skin was crispy and super thin, while the yaki onigiri was done with just the right amount of crispy crust (and covered in seaweed, no less). And it looks like they had some kinda of cold homemade udon that sounded pretty good, although I did not get a chance to try it.

I definitely prefer Nanbantei over this place as it is faster and tastier (at least, in its pre-Tatler days). But if Nanbantei were not around, then I would come here, as I'm not a huge fan of Shunjuu.

3 comments:

Tigre said...

I love food, but i don't eat seafood.

Anonymous said...

U can try the fried oyster there...I always go there juz for the oysters last time when its located opp Bugis...not too sure if they still have it now...havent been there since it shifted.

Anonymous said...

An lot of other things are nice there. Well, its slow because its Yakitori.. I definitely would not want them to grill my stuff even before i order..

For me, its much better than nanbantei and at a much cheaper price. One of the best restaurant i've tried in Singapore. Lots of Japanese.