Friday, October 14, 2005

Da Hung Pau, Taipei

Da Hung PaoLast time I was here (Chung Hsiao East Road Section 4, diagonally across from Sogo on the second floor of unit 104, 02-2752-8500), I remember this to be one of the higher quality hot pot places, charging by the plate with better quality ingredients and a calmer environment than those NT$299 (US$9) all-you-can-eat places. So I was a bit shocked today to find that this place had caved in, now also offering all-you-can-eat, albeit at NT$399 (US$12). For that premium, they still served you plates (rather than you walking up to a cooler), and with proper dishware, mind you. But it had turned into a bit of a crowded madhouse too.

So how was the food? The quality of the ingredients was definitely better than Fondue King - especially the tender beef. I was also comforted by the taste of the sa cha sauce. The broth was more herbal and rather numbing though. This makes it more true to the mainland style, but I honestly prefer the synthetic taste of the NT$299 places. They were also out of cilantro - what's going on here? Well, at least I got their tasty sour plum drink, although I drank so much when I should have saved stomach space for food.

Actually, I'm getting pretty sick of all this hot pot. It's been three days in a row already, not counting all the recent hot pot from Singapore too. All right - time to break the routine.

No comments: