Saturday, July 02, 2005

Buffalo Wings at Lori's Diner, SFO

Loris Wings

What a total disappointment. I was at SFO's International Terminal yesterday and happened to smell some buffalo wing sauce emanating from the back of the Discovery Store (some employee apparently was eating his lunch). So I had to find out which place was selling them nearby. I found Lori's Diner, which has spots all over SF, and got the buffalo wings - with a bit of hesitation, I might add, as my gut was telling me otherwise.

I should have trusted my gut. This has to be one of the worst sets of buffalo wings that I've ever had. Tiny soggy wings with too much meat and not enough skin - and the sauce wasn't even mixed in (it probably wouldn't work too well if it were soggy). In fact, the sauce was freezing cold - clearly a result of sitting in the refrigerator next to the Best Foods Blue Cheese dressing packets. Ugh!

Why is it so darned hard to find good buffalo wings?? I don't think most places understand that it's the greasy fried skin (and sauce) that makes it what it is. Buffalo Wings are *not* a meal, so we don't want to actually eat the meat - just the skin! Seriously, 9 times out of 10, an order of buffalo wings turns out to be a total dud. Maybe I should go to Buffalo, NY one of these days.

Fung Lum

On a separate note, I thought it was rather amusing that Fung Lum had a booth located next to it. Those of you who grew up in the South Bay will instantly hear the voice in the back of your head, "Fung Lum...on Baaaascom Avenue. What was that? Baaaaascom Avenue." Ha ha.

Next stop: from mid-air, on the way to Hong Kong. Wonton mee...mmmm...

1 comment:

Walt said...

You oughta go to Buffalo for some real wings. Best wings anywhere, guaranteed. Good places to check out are The Anchor Bar, Duff's, or La Nova Pizzeria. Some other spots you should drop by to if you ever do come up there are Ted's Hot Dogs and Jim's Steakout