Monday, June 03, 2019

Taman Jurong's 58 Minced Meat Noodle in Singapore

Mee Pok

I'm not sure if it is just a coincidence or not, but there is another famous "58" bak chor mee shop on the island. Unlike the Bedok version, these guys are known more for a dry one, and they have a setup at a bar called OSG at Suntec City Tower 1 right now (3 Temasek Boulavard #01-510, 6268-6702). Yes, I liked it: they kept the noodles nice and firm, and it had just the right balance of vinegar and chili (those mushrooms tasted better than they looked too). But it also wasn't anything so unique that I'll go out of my way for it either.

1 comment:

cruisedenning said...

Hi, I enjoy reading your blog. Regarding this 58 Taman Jurong Bak Chor Mee, the name came about because it used to be stall number 58 of the now defunct Taman Jurong Hawker Centre which had 60 stalls. The old Taman Jurong Hawker Centre was colloquially known as 'lak charp tua' in Hokkien, meaning 60 stalls. It has been around for 40 years at least.

The original stall is now at level 3 of the Taman Jurong Market and Food Centre and helmed by the 2nd generation. I am in no way related to them. Just that I have been staying in Taman Jurong all my life. It may not be the best bak chor mee in Sg (no Michelin) but it has the traditional taste that I am familiar.

Do come down to try the original stall if you have the time. The original stall has a strong following and the queue can be very long, especially when each customer has many orders and customisations.