Wednesday, December 09, 2015

Pho NAM Vietnamese Restaurant in Sunnyvale, California

Phở Chín Nạm Vè Dòn

Sunnyvale isn't exactly a hotbed of Vietnamese-American culture, as far as I know of. So when we stopped by this place near Lawrence Expressway and 101 (1205 Wildwood Avenue, 408-730-8106), we weren't expecting much either. But it was a heck of a lot better than I thought it would be. The broth - while a tad salty - was actually good enough that I didn't bother with the garnishes until halfway through the bowl.

And that's when things got even more interesting. They offered something called hành trần nước béo, or "green onions in hot oil," as the menu put it. I ordered one out of curiosity, and it turned out to be a little bowl of broth loaded up with a ton of oil, plus some scallions to boot. Scooping some into my main bowl just completely lit it up, a bit like adding marrow, I suppose. Awesome!

Yes, I'm definitely coming back. And hopefully next time, I'll finally get to the bottom of why the vè dòn cut of meat is called "crunchy flank." I thought maybe it was a cut that had somehow been pan-fried into something like crispy bacon, but it seemed like just any other cut of flank as far as I could tell (albeit a very tender and tasty one at that). Note to self: they close at 8 PM.

No comments: