Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Shanghainese Malatang and Street Noodles

Shanghai Malatang

If I read it correctly, malatang was originally a Sichuan dish, but folks in Shanghai have adapted it a bit. Here, one reaches into the fridge and picks from an array of ingredients, after which they cook it to your requested level of spiciness. Yeah, it worked, and was dirt cheap at only 20 RMB (US$3). Perhaps the most exciting thing was the soup, which was so tasty that I couldn't stop drinking it. I'm not sure if MSG was involved but I wouldn't be surprised.

Shanghai Street Noodle Man

Somehow I totally missed the carb section at that malatang shop though, so I walked down the street in search of just a little more to make me full. I found this guy, who had a number of types of noodles (and even rice and rice cakes) in front of him for you to choose from, along with proteins, eggs, and veggies for him to toss in a hot wok for a few minutes with seasonings of your choice. I'm not sure if this is considered Shanghainese noodles, but it was pretty darned good, and all for only 10 RMB (US$1.50).

No comments: