Saturday, June 07, 2014

Checking Out Some Thai Mango Varieties

From left: Thai honey mangoes and chok anan mangoes

For some reason, most of the fruit stalls in Tanjong Pagar have been selling Thai mangoes this week. There were of course the standard issue honey mangoes that are omnipresent at supermarkets most the year, so I wanted to check out the other ones, like these chok anan mangoes in the foreground. Nothing really stuck out about the taste though: it was very neutral with a delicately thin skin.

Some other Thai mango variety

I don't know the name of this one, but it was dirt cheap at nine pieces for only S$5 (US$4). I was a bit worried that they wouldn't taste good as a result, especially since the smell wasn't anything great either. But it was better than I had thought, reminding me a bit of those dried Filipino mangoes that one gets at a convenience store. It wasn't rich like some of those Indian or Burmese mangoes though.

No comments: