Saturday, May 03, 2014

Yakitori Lounge Hibiki in Singapore

Yaki Onigiri

I had pretty high hopes for this place (833 Bukit Timah Road #01-06, 6519-6894), as it looked to be an extension of a brand from Japan (and no, I don't think this place had anything to do with the similarly named Hibiki at the Singapore Flyer). I was hoping that the quality was going to be as good as Shirokane Tori-Tama, so I came here tonight to find out.

My jaw dropped when I arrived though, as the wait staff was clad in kimonos; to me, that was a sign of a restaurant overcompensating for something. And when I took my first bite of food, I was disappointed to find the negima a tad on the dry side, while the kawa was not as crisp as I would have liked either. It almost seemed like something that I might get at Tori-Q (oh no!). The service was fast, but almost too much: they annoyingly brought out nearly all of my food at the same time.

Fortunately, the rest of what I had was better, and ultimately I was still satisfied with my meal. Indeed, one of the best things about this place was the miso, which I guess is what this brand is really known for (you can buy jars of it there). I won't make another run to Bukit Timah just for this, but if I lived in the area I suppose it would be a (relatively) cheap place for a quick bite.

No comments: