Friday, May 30, 2014

John Mueller Meat Co in Austin, Texas

1/2 lb brisket

When I asked for a half pound of brisket for lunch today (2500 East 6th Street), I was given a question in return: "lean or moist?" It caught me off guard. I figured that "moist" meant a tastier and fattier cut, but nonetheless I threw the question right back at them, asking which one was better. "Moist" was the response, precisely because of the fat indeed.

And yes, moist and tasty it was, with a tender inside and charred outside. The thing that stuck out most to me was all of the black pepper, which made it so good that the peculiarly thin tomato-based sauce on the side wasn't even necessary. I gobbled down all of the fatty goodness on its own, complemented with some sweet raw onions and pickles. They were sold out of side dishes by the time I had arrived.

If I read it correctly, this guy was the former boss of the man behind Franklin Barbecue. Now, I haven't been to Franklin enough times to be able to say this confidently, but I seem to recall Franklin's brisket being much more tender, whereas this one was much more punchy, if you will. I liked them both, and I'm glad that I was able to make a quick hop out here today to try it.

No comments: