Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Korea's Kkongdon in Singapore

Pork Belly

A BBQ chain from Korea has opened up an outlet at Marina Square (6 Raffles Boulevard #B1-01, 6336-2580), and it's run by the folks behind that nasty Jack's Place chain, of all people. That wasn't very encouraging to hear, so I wasn't getting my hopes up. But apparently this is a budget chain in Korea too, and accordingly so, I lowered my expectations.

The good thing was that it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Wooden chopsticks aside, this place was actually half-authentic, and was surely a heck of a lot better than that terrible Seoul Garden place...or even that His.tori buffet place. Granted, at these prices, one couldn't expect high quality. But it worked for me, especially after loading up on unlimited kimchi and greens.

OK, there was one catch to these cheap prices: the ventilation here was terrible, and I made the mistake of coming here in a suit. So even though the pork belly above was a cheap S$16 (US$13), I'm going to have to pay for dry cleaning now. Next time, come dressed in a T-shirt and shorts, and definitely don't plan any meetings afterwards!

No comments: