Monday, September 10, 2012

Las Americas Restaurant, San Mateo



This was an unplanned visit. I was actually walking over to CurryUpNow when I noticed this Peruvian restaurant (252 South B Street, 340-1327). Outside of Matsuhisa, I don't think I'd ever had Peruvian food before, so I figured that it'd be worth a try, especially since it was attached to a market too (is it a Latin American thing?).

I had no idea what to order, so I asked the guy what he's best known for, and he recommended the lomo saltado above. At first glance, it looked like some crudely cut thing that one might get from Panda Express, but it tasted nothing of the sort. It was savory and a tad tangy, especially when I dabbled some of that hot green salsa onto it.

Sure, the beef was a bit tough, but I still gobbled it up quickly, washing it down with a chicha morada, which is apparently made from boiling purple corn with cinnamon and fruit. I'll definitely come back here to try out some of the other stuff on the menu.

1 comment:

... said...

La Costanera at Montara Beach (near Half Moon Bay) serves amazing Peruvian food. Their chicken empanadas in aji amarillo sauce are great, and the views are spectacular.

La Costanera Restaurant
8150 Cabrillo Hwy
Montara Beach, CA 94037
Tel: (650) 728-1600

Open daily 5pm; closed Mondays

http://www.lacostanerarestaurant.com

(No affiliation with the place, we went there 2 weeks back on a friend's recommendation after a long hike around the area)

Jasmine