Saturday, July 30, 2011

Lau Huang Hakka Niang Tau Fu

Yong Tau Foo

It took me a few seconds to figure out how to order at this stall (861 North Bridge Road #01-108). A crowd of people was hovering at a distance from the racks of yong tau foo, so I figured that they were probably waiting for their order. I thus cut my way through and picked out my items, even if I was a bit disappointed at how whimpy the remaining piece of eggplant was.

It was only after I had submitted my selection did I realize why people were standing around: the stall owner restocked his racks soon afterwards, and with some beautiful looking fried tofu and eggplant. The crowd stormed in and started filling their bowls. I should have waited; those purple chunks of eggplant looked a heck of a lot better than the measly scraps I picked up.

There was a very old newspaper story tacked onto their stall that argued that this was the only stall that came close to Ampang yong tau foo in KL. I guess I can see why with the thick cuts of better-than-average fried goods and the fact that the sauce was on the side. But I still prefer Xiu Ji, which to me is much more unique.

No comments: