Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Ristorante Piperno, Rome, Italy

Insalata di Pomodori

The photo above might not be anything too exciting (it was just a simple salad of sliced tomatoes with olive oil, salt, and basil after all), but we came here because it has been around for over 100 years (Monte de Cenci 9, 6880-6629). We already had our fill of artichokes the other day, so today we focused on zucchini blossoms instead, another seasonal item that this Jewish restaurant specialized in.

They were coated in a lot more batter than I was expecting, thus reminding me a bit of (forgive me for saying this) jalapeƱo poppers given their deep-fried cylindrical appearance and melted cheese inside. The taste of course was significantly different though, especially with anchovies rather than the heat of a pepper to give it a pungent edge. I’m glad I tried it, but I'd probably like it more if there were just a bit less batter.

Well, I definitely liked the rich and fresh ravioli that we got here, as well as the Roman tripe, which was a bit salty but done to a very tender state in a tomato and wine sauce. The antipasto spread near the front door looked interesting too, even if we didn't get a chance to try them. But prices were a bit high - I suppose that somebody has to pay for those white tuxedos and table linens.

No comments: