Sunday, March 21, 2010

A Japanese Melon from New Zealand

Japanese Melon from New Zealand

Paragon Marketplace in Singapore was selling these Japanese melons today for only S$20 (US$14). They were from New Zealand, and hence might not have looked as perfectly shaped, flawless, and poised on the outside as a pricey one from Japan. But when I sliced it open it smelled pretty good, so I was hoping that this might be a cheaper way of getting the same thing for half of the price.

It turned out that you get what you pay for. It was ripe and juicy (and certainly much better than your everyday honeydew or canteloupe), but just wasn't as delightfully sweet and fragrant as a proper one from Japan. Oh well - I guess that I'll just have to keep my eyes open for half melons rather than half prices.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I live in New Zealand and I haven't seen New Zealand melons for sale here. No wonder they are expensive! I imagine that NZ is not warm enough for growing melons anyway.