Saturday, January 30, 2010

Korea's Mad for Garlic in Singapore

Suicide Rice

When we first saw the menu for this place a month or two ago (3 Temasek Boulevard #01-039, 6333-1507), it didn't really get us too excited. Indeed, we nearly forgot about it until reading about it in a few writeups recently. And since I needed to come down to Suntec City Mall tonight anyway, I figured that I'd give it a try, if anything just for the novelty of eating at a faux-Italian garlic-centered chain restaurant from Korea.

I grabbed two dishes with the most outrageous names: the Dracula Killer and the Suicide Rice. The former was basically like the Stinking Rose's bagna calda, except that the garlic sat in an escargot dish. The latter was basically spicy fried rice with both garlic sauteed into the rice as well as garlic chips to top it off. It was tasty, even if it wasn't as spicy as the three chili pepper icon on the menu made it out to be.

Normally I'm not huge on dishes where excessive amounts of garlic overpower the taste of the food itself. But this was a garlic-themed restaurant after all, and I liked it more than I thought I would. Granted, I still prefer the more balanced taste of Ninniku-ya in Japan, but I'll probably come in to try the other stuff if I'm in the neighborhood again.

No comments: