Saturday, October 24, 2009

Phở Hùng, Saigon

Phở Tái Nạm Gầu

We weren't intending to get two bowls of phở in one day, but it started raining this afternoon, so we figured that we'd go somewhere where we could sit indoors for a bit. My colleagues told me that this place was one of the better phở shops in town (371/1 Hai Bà Trưng, 3820-4488). We were a bit surprised when we got there to find that these guys also had branches in Texas and Oregon, of all places.

In stark contrast to this morning's northern style though, these guys brought out a huge plate full of herbs along with some blanched bean sprouts and scallions. They were definitely very generous with everything, including the noodles as well as the rich tasting broth. (There was one herb that I liked, as it tasted like cumin...and those light green chili pepper slices were deceptively spicy!) I was pretty stuffed in the end.

Yi Hao Sriracha SauceAs a quick side note, it was interesting to see this bottle of Sriracha rooster sauce there...except it featured a picture of a horse rather than a rooster. I think this one was made by a different company than the one in the US, especially seeing how the cap was blue rather than green. But otherwise the labeling looked pretty similar. I don't know how it tasted though - frankly I'm not that big of a fan of that stuff in the first place. I liked this place's lemongrass infused chili oil better anyway.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

evidently the animal motif is common whatever the brand:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Flying_goose_sriracha.jpg