Saturday, April 18, 2009

Hong Shi Fu Mian Shi Zhan, Taipei

Beef Noodle

Wow - that was pretty darned good. Bowls of beef noodle are of course ubiquitous in Taiwan, but this chain of award-winning shops was definitely one of the better ones. What made it so different? For me, it was the quality of the meat, which was melt-in-your-mouth tender. That made this thing so tasty that I inhaled it in seconds, even if the noodles were a bit too soft for my taste.

They also had a version where the broth was clear, which I liked even better, as it featured two different cuts of thinly-sliced beef...making it a bit like Vietnamese pho, but without all of that basil and lime of course. Toss on some of that red chili oil and pair it with some of those cold side dishes, and I can see why this place proudly displays its trophies in that case up front. Thumbs up.

No comments: