Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Seaweed Soup for Breakfast

Mee Kia Soup-based Bak Chor Mee

Here's a quick bowl of pork and seaweed soup from a random stall here in Singapore (actually, it's a soup version of bak chor mee). I love how this guy loads his bowls up with a crapload of seaweed...so much that I've been craving it every morning this week.

Yup - this is a breakfast thing, and this guy is only open in the morning. As strange as it might have seemed at first, I love the concept of having a light and savory bowl of soup for breakfast. It sure beats Frosted Flakes.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoa, clicked this bookmark and I saw your last post, hit refresh and all of a sudden this one. Good stuff

Anonymous said...

i have a strong feeling you are working around my office area because your lunch places are all within walking distance for me.

So could you tell me where is this stall so I can patronize it when I skip breakfast?

Anonymous said...

Eeew, I love your posts, but this seaweed/pork/noodles soup thing is definitely not for me, especially not for the first meal of the day (and you said it's only open for breakfast?!)

Eskimo Grrl said...

Love your blog. Singaporeans in general do not eat a "western" brekky "ie Cereal". We hv noodles, rice for breakfast as well like any other meal of the day.

ella fae said...

A bowl of warm miso soup is one of my favorite breakfast meals (usually accompanied by some sticky rice).

Anonymous said...

lemme guess... little coffee shop by river valley!

Ingenue said...

Nice blog u have. ;)

Lollapallooza said...

u're the first american i've heard who 'craves' seaweed. I'm so proud of you! :-) You write about local/ Asian food with a lot of love and I want to thank you for that.

Anonymous said...

nonsense !
born and bred in singapore
and i love 'western' breakfast !
cant eat such savoury stuff !
give me cereal anytime !!