Friday, July 20, 2007

A S$40 (US$27) Durian in Geylang

S$40 Durian

Damn, this durian was a whopping forty bucks (US$27)! I didn't choose it, nor did I really eat much of it (nor pay for it, thankfully), but the one bite I did have did seem to come across as a bit more polished than others that I've had. Then again, I don't really eat that much durian to begin with, so I really wouldn't know what was so special about this particular variety (it was the most expensive one that the guy had to offer). Is it like paying S$69 for a Japanese melon?

8 comments:

ClearTear said...

rumors say tat Chin Yong Trading in geylang cheats people money but charging a bomb by KG. Not sure if you had it there.

Ah Hung is suppose to be good, recently there's one at Lorong 17 corner, is not bad too.

Anonymous said...

Wow..!! that's alot to pay for durian..!!

Unknown said...

I have been to Singapore a couple of times and never tried Durian. The smell is just too overwhelming! I also seem to remember that they were not allowed in the hotel that I was staying at or on the MRT's. That says something right there! :o)

Anonymous said...

Gosh, durian is so yummy;P Well, there are certain species of durians which will cost more than the rest so you may not have been cheated after all.
Most importantly, did it taste good?

Unknown said...

ah. have you seen those square watermelons at SGD $50 a pop?

Anonymous said...

we had durian at chin yong. and it was $15 per kilo. so we spent $97.50 in total, for 3 durians. if you ask me, that's bloody expensive!

Anonymous said...

Just wait till they figure out how to make the durian square... then they can really fleece you ;)

sg rox said...

true that the durians are expensive but i find it quite worth since the durians taste so good.