Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Swedish Meatballs from IKEA

Swedish Meatballs

I hate IKEA furniture. But hey, every once in a while, you've gotta stop by to pick up some supplies. What is it about affordable particle-board-based flat-packed self-assemble furniture that goes so well with Swedish meatballs? I don't know, but it's pretty much obligatory to get them while you're there. I assume that everyone and their mother has had this stuff before though, so I won't even bother describing it. At least it's consistent.

A plate of pickled herringOf course, to boost the Swedish experience, I also grabbed a plate of herring, which featured three seemingly different types of the stuff, but I couldn't tell the difference. They all seemed to have the same sweet fishy dill weed taste that I didn't mind one or two bites of, but tired of quickly. I don't know if I could survive in Northern Europe for too long as a result.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey now! Comeing from a real swede i know those meatballs suck but dont diss my countries cuisine on IKEA?! Come on! we dont base american cuisne on McDonalds so be fair. Come to Sweden and we will show you REAL swedish food! :P

bma said...

Thanks. :)

Actually, I wasn't dissing the meatballs...I actually kinda like those. I'm just not a huge fan of pickled herring, that's all.

Granted, the place where I got sick of herring was actually in Finland instead. Hopefully I'll be able to find some better herring in Sweden to change my mind? I'm sure there's lots of other good stuff in Sweden to eat besides herring (that hot dog thing in Anthony Bourdain's Sweden episode sure looked interesting), so I do hope to go one of these days.

Anonymous said...

Some notes from my Swedish friend.

She tells me that the stroganoff is Sweden is delicious. She eats hers with rice!

And maybe you could try the soups that Swedish eat for breakfast, or the open faced sandwiches.

Anything with mushrooms will be a good bet.

bma said...

Mmm...stroganoff. I sure like the Russian version...I've heard that the Swedish version is pretty good too.

Come to think of it, there is a Scandinavian restaurant at Millenia Walk...has anyone tried it?

Anonymous said...

swedes don't eat any soup for breakfast.

swedish stroganof is made with falu-sausage. a cheap sausage with pork and lots of flour. all school kids love it. nothing like russian version, but great if you're a kid or very hungry.

what makes you think ikea serves nice herring when u don't like the furiture? the sweet pickled herring in glass bottles contains some preservative that makes it taste disgusting. u need to try freshly pickled herring.