Saturday, February 10, 2007

Mee Rebus...Pronounced Correctly This Time

Mee Rebus

Here's a bowl of mee rebus from a random hawker center here in Singapore. There wasn't necessarily anything outrageous about this - it was just a basic bowl of Malay noodles doused in a gravy and garnished with a few things like bean sprouts and a hard boiled egg, as seen in the picture.

The more amusing story is how I ignorantly tried to pronounce this when I first came to Singapore a number of years ago. I told the lady that I wanted "mee rebus," with the second word pronounced as if I were boarding the bus again (re-bus). She was completely puzzled as to what I wanted until she realized that I actually meant "mee reh-BOOZ." Now I know better.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL, mate you not alone.

Keep up the good work.

AussieTourist

Anonymous said...

Eating with chopsticks? You bought from a Chinese store?

Chubbypanda said...

What's the round, green thing?

Anonymous said...

Hey there,

If you would like, you can try the mee rebus from New Upper Changi road, blk 58 hawker center. The mee rebus stall has been there for years and their queue is still as long. It opens from 10am and finishes at about 2pm. Prices ranges from $1.20 - $2.00 per bowl.

Cheers

Anonymous said...

Thats lime.

bma said...

...or perhaps more specifically stated, that is a calamansi, which is a local lime about the size of a kumquat. It's a bit more orange-like in taste (and the flesh is darker in color) than the big limes that we're used to in the US, but it still is sour.

Anonymous said...

Hilarious! If you want to try authentic Mee Rebus, try the restaurants at Stulang Laut (near JB's duty-free complex) over the causeway.

Anonymous said...

Actually we locals pronounce usually as "mee roh-BOOZ". Keep up the great eating adventures!

Lyd said...

Haha.. I pronounce it as mee rei booz too. And i'm a local! I guess there is always different prounciations for all kinds of stuff!
Next time when in doubt, just point! :) (I usually do that when I can't speak chinese properly to the hawkers!)