Thursday, January 04, 2007

The Tomton Section of Tampopo

Kurobuta Hari Hari Nabe (with the pot out of the picture)

Hey cool - the folks over at Tampopo (Liang Court #B1-50, 6338-3186) have a kurobuta-focused section called Tomton. We went ahead and got two of their specials, including the shio katsu don as well as something I'd never seen before but was really intrigued by the photo they displayed: the hari hari nabe.

Kurobuta Shio Katsu DonThe shio katsu don made me happy with its very light and crispy crust and just the right dose of salt (apparently the main selling point in this one is that they used some special pink salt on it). And the gimmick that got me going with hari hari nabe was the minced pork sitting in an open bamboo half that one scrapes into the boiling broth. This tender tasty stuff also worked for me (although I'm not completely sure why they called it this since apparently hari hari nabe is supposed to be made from whale meat instead). Anyway, these two dishes were encouraging enough that I will happily return back here for more.

2 comments:

Chubbypanda said...

Mmmm... Porky goodness right up my alley.

- Chubbypanda

Anonymous said...

Had a harihari nabe here in Japan too, but also with pork. I guess its not just a tampopo thing. It's probably evolving to just mean a soup with mizuna veggies plus meat.