Saturday, January 20, 2007

Jia Le Roasted Food, Taman Serasi Food Garden

On the foreground plate from left: duck, suckling pig, and char siew

Someone had mentioned to me once that there was some Cantonese roasted meat guy at Marina Square that was supposed to be pretty good, but I had never made my way down there to try it myself. Fortunately for me, they opened a shop over at the Botanic Gardens' new food court, where I coincidentally happened to be today. I didn't even realize it was this shop at first; the thing that originally caught my eye was all the different kinds of roasted meat glistening in the glass display case, including not just chicken, duck, suckling pig, and char siew, but also what appeared to be a giant goose as well as tiny little pigeons or something (some kind of small bird). I got so excited that I asked for a little of everything.

Not surprisingly, the crispy suckling pig was my favorite of the bunch, done just the way I would like it to highlight the taste and texture of the skin (skip the sauce and eat the wonderfully crispy tasty stuff on its own). The other items were fine (and yes, it was better than Sum's Kitchen...I still don't see what the big deal was about that place), but alas, they weren't so great that I would go running back there right away for more. The char siew, for instance, was too lean and boring compared to the crunchy sugary fatty stuff I like to get in KL.

A pigeon or quail...or some kind of small bird, anywayWell, if I do go back, I'm going to focus solely on the suckling pig. I could probably also use a lesson or two on how to eat that small bird, as I had a bit of a difficult time extracting any meat or skin off that little thing.

No comments: