Friday, December 22, 2006

Potbelly Sandwich Works, Dulles Airport

A Wreck from Potbelly Sandwich Works

Oh man, that was one of the best sandwiches I've ever had. I'd heard about this place a number of times in the past, but seeing that they were mainly a Midwest thing, I'd never really had the chance to go. Stuck with a layover of a good number of hours at Dulles today though, I was happy to see that they had made their way over here too. I popped on in and grabbed the Wreck, which featured salami, roast beef, turkey, and ham with Swiss cheese plus mayo, mustard, hot peppers, lettuce, onion, tomato, pickle, oil, and Italian seasoning. Their sandwiches are toasted by default.

I was floored with just the first bite. Wow - that was amazing! It had everything I wanted in a sandwich: it was rich from the mayo, it had bite from the peppers, and most impressively, the bread was airy and light enough to motivate this non-bread eater to nearly jump for joy. Now I see what all the fuss was about. Every single bite of this thing brought me sheer excitement. Having a bag of Utz salt n' vinegar chips nearby made a nice companion too.

It wasn't all so brilliant though. I grabbed a cup of chili, which turned out to have a strangely sweet aftertaste that even a healthy dose of Tabasco could not cure. I also grabbed a bottle of Cricket, an alleged micro-brewed cola even featuring green tea in it or something. This interestingly reminded me a bit of Chinese sour plum juice, which was still fine, but I guess I was hoping for a more chocolatey taste like RC Cola had done a while back.

Anyway, the sandwich is obviously the most important thing here, and it rocked, hands down. If they opened up shop in Singapore, I'd be there nearly every day for lunch. Until then, I guess I'll have to wait for my next chance to pass through Chicago, DC, or even Texas.

4 comments:

BoLA said...

Hey B! I LOVE POTBELLY TOO!!! Whenever I'm in the DC or Chicago area, I always make a stop! ;)

Hope all is well with you!!! Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Man o Man next time your at Dulles let me know I will treat you to some good eats :) Take care, Squeakyshooz

Anonymous said...

I've always anticipate your food recommendations!

Esp, when you've brought me to unfamiliar areas...

Keep on sharing dude.

Chubbypanda said...

Oh gods. Potbelly. Been years since I've had one. You lucky dog.

- Chubbypanda