Saturday, September 02, 2006

Piper's Pies - "Authentic Aussie Hot Pies"

Peter's SpecialWhile waiting for Borgo next door to open for lunch, we peeked into this place (787 Bukit Timah Road, 6463-8348) to check out their "Authentic Aussie Hot Pies." We went straight for the first item on the menu: Peter's Special, which boasted of some mashed potato top or something. That immediately conjured up images of Harry's Cafe on Wheels in Woolloomooloo to me, with its tower of mashed peas and potatoes. So I was a bit bummed to see that these mashed potatoes were baked into the pie itself.

Still, I did enjoy the taste quite a bit - not only of the potatoes, but of the meat filling (seasoned just right) and the flaky crust. I've never really spent much time in Australia aside from a passing visit or two, so I can't exactly profess to be an expert on pies. But I liked this enough that I'd come back here again.

3 comments:

Tym said...

I bought some pies from their takeaway outlet in the new basement of Raffles City. Maybe it was partly 'cause I took them home and ate them after reheating, but the pie fillings (tandoori lamb and I think steak-and-mushroom) didn't blow my mind.

Big Ben's Pies at Opera Estate --- now those are some yummy pies.

Anonymous said...

I find the new style of Peter's Special Pie from Piper's Pies shop to be a nice change as before the mash could be a bit dry when on top. I'm a big fan of their pies and would have to say that they rate in my top 5 pies of all time.

A bit of a connoisseur of fine foods, I was pleasantly suprised on my Sunday morning stroll to come across their shop in Bukit Timah. My first pie was the classic Meat Pie, which brought a tear to my eye, almost had me to my feet ready to sing the national anthem.(ok perhaps not quite, but it was good).

I prefer dropping in to their newest shop at Raffles Place a kind of cafe which thank god has easily the best coffee this side of Singapore. Cant complain about tucking into vegemite toast or fresh scones for breakfast, hot pie or sausage roll & rocket salad for lunch, and cafe latte with lamington for afternoon tea( if your keen!)

...that's my soapbox for today. These guys give Shakespears a run for their money.

Chee Wei Yen said...

the best are still big ben's pies at swan lake ave in opera estate. The beef and cheese is great !!!