Saturday, July 22, 2006

Issan Style Beef Salad

Issan Style Beef Salad

Mmm...I haven't had this in a long time. We stopped at some random noodle shop in Bangkok today and ordered a number of things, such as lek-nua-toon (a bowl of noodles in a dark broth, sometimes based on beef blood to make it more tasty). They were all fine, but it was the beef salad that got to me tonight. Beef salad is a favorite of mine when going out for Thai food, but unfortunately it is usually done in a more common basic style. My preferred version though actually comes from the North, where they sprinkle ground up rice bits on top, thus adding an extra dimension to the texture. I hadn't had it this way in a very long time, so I was very pleased to find that this place did it this way (and of course, they made it delightfully spicy too). I wish that the more common Thai beef salads would be more like this, not only in terms of the strong flavor, but also with a generous helping of that critical rice powder.

No comments: