Friday, June 23, 2006

Big Fish Seafood Grill

Fish & Chips

Steamed Littleneck NZ ClamsThis place (85 Upper East Coast Road, 6441-6920) was another reader recommendation. I was a bit concerned at first when the steamed littleneck NZ clams featured slices of fresh chili pepper in it, but then I took a bite and the little morsels gushed of freshness. The white wine broth was nice and savory too. Whoa. That wasn't too bad.

Then came their signature fish and chips, which again, I was a bit apprehensive about, seeing as they had a bit of salad on the side. But the batter on this thing was so light, and the fish was so fresh, that I was thoroughly impressed. I still yearn for a more no-frills American version of seafood, but I have to admit that it was pretty darned good. I'd much rather come here than Fish Tales at Clarke Quay.

4 comments:

Tym said...

Glad you liked it!

Anonymous said...

No malt vinegar as you usually complain about? *grins* Hmmm sounds interesting.

bma said...

Hehe - you're right. That's kinda been a theme ever since I found that place with the spray bottle, eh? I *did* have to proactively ask these guys for malt vinegar, and they gave it to me in one of those pourable glass kettles with the cork stopper on top (like the containers one usually keeps red wine vinegar in at a salad bar next to the oil). So yeah, it wasn't quite as easy as the spout thing on an original Heinz bottle, but it was definitely better than a dish or spray nozzle, so I didn't really make a big deal out of it. The main thing was that the taste of the fish itself was much, much better than I was expecting.

Anonymous said...

Like the place especially the service!

Been there quite a few times and food is always good!