Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Tokyo Japanese Restaurant & Bar

Quantity over quality

Seeing such a generic restaurant name, I pretty much knew that I wasn't exactly going to be getting myself any real Japanese food here (the Amara Singapore #01-17, 6226-2303), but I still had to try to be sure. And yep, it was indeed a rather unsatisfying "Japanese" meal. It resembled one of those pseudo-Japanese places in a suburban part of the US, complete with that all-time American favorite, chicken teriyaki. What else was wrong? The tempura batter was ridiculously thick, and one piece was even brought to me cold, as if it had been sitting there for a long, long time. The zaru soba actually arrived soaking in the sauce (sheesh!). And the yakitori, while not as horrendous as Sushi Tei's "jumbo" yakitori, was overcooked to nearly a chicken-jerky stage. The only thing I liked about this place was the fact that the sashimi was sliced super-thick. But otherwise, this was a bit of a dismal opening for this new place that took over the old Seiroya Masakatsu venue. Their service staff was still a bit green too.

No comments: