Friday, October 28, 2005

Weihenstephaner, Berlin

Jaegerschnitzel

SpaetzleCertainly not full from that tiny Finn Air meal, I went on the hunt for some real German food and beer here in Berlin tonight. Interestingly, there were a lot of Italian places around. But I didn’t come to Germany to eat Italian food. So I stopped at this place (Neue Promenade 5 am Hackeschen Markt, 2576-2871, open from 11 AM to 1 AM), which I guess is from Bavaria and is one of the oldest breweries in the world. I ordered the Jaegerschnitzel (pork with bacon in a sauce) with a bowl of Spaetzle, or a pasta-like thing, but in more of a globular form tonight. The pork was heavy, yet decently good and pretty much what I expected. It is nice to have a dunkel beer while you’re at it of course.

What was interesting too was learning some of the German dining customs too, like seating yourself (even if at an empty seat at an occupied table, kinda like some countries in Asia). When you pay your bill, the waiter comes by with a thick wallet full of cash, and you tell him how much you want to spend in total (tips aren’t really a big thing, but round up a bit), whereupon he then returns you the right change. Berlin is apparently known for having decently good priced food too, but I spent 13 Euros (US$15.75) tonight for the beer and meal, which still seems high to me. Well, do as the Germans do, and get a big fat stein of beer!

No comments: