Monday, October 31, 2005

LH Biz Class Dinner - Victoria-Jungfrau

Veal marinated and thinly sliced with Quince Vinaigrette and Herb Mousse

Tonight's "Star Chefs" creation on LH featured Manfred Roth and Mike Wehrle from the Victoria-Jungfrau Grand Hotel in Interlaken, Switzerland. I started with the veal, "marinated and thinly sliced with Quince Vinaigrette and Herb Mousse." I found it a bit odd at first, seeing as I'd never had cold slices of veal with celery slices on top, but it pretty much tasted just like it looked. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't anything that I'll get cravings for. The mousse didn't really add much of an additional kick either as it was pretty light.

Pike-perch pan-seared, with Meaux Mustard Sauce, Savoy Cabbage, Carrots and Potatoes

Next I moved on to the pike-perch: "pan-seared, with Meaux Mustard Sauce, Savoy Cabbage, Carrots and Potatoes." This looked pretty disappointing to me when it was brought out, especially since I hate cooked carrots. But to my surprise, this was actually really good. The fish was prepared just right (which is especially respectable considering that it was on an airplane), and it went well with the creamy mustard sauce. I love cooked cabbage of course too, and gobbled that up. After I realized that the yellow bits were potatoes, I cleared this plate pretty quickly, leaving only a choice selection of cooked carrots in the corner for the flight attendants to pick up (raw carrots are great, but cooking them changes the taste completely into a mildly sweet mush). Anyway, that was it. I didn't bother with dessert - it was time to get my body clock back on Singapore time.

No comments: