Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Jaggi's Northern Indian Cuisine

It doesn't look like much in the photo, but this place has the best Indian butter chicken that I've ever had. It's very unique as it's not the typical butter chicken with tangy tomato overtones. Instead, it's not very sweet, and it's more cream than butter, providing for a very rich and filling taste. Put it together with some rice, and it's a match made in heaven. It's not served every day at the Lim Teck Kim location though - I think Wednesdays and Fridays are the preset days, so go then.

Jaggi's is (Punjabi) Northern Indian, which is my preference, and sometimes more rare to find in Singapore considering all the Southern Indian cuisine out here. Other great items there include the samosas (a precursor to the Chinese curry puff, I realized), butter naan, and fried ladyfingers. The kebabs aren't bad either, but I'm still waiting for Bukhara to re-open.

These guys were originally at the PSA hawker stalls on Keppel Road (apparently to cater to the dock workers), but have recently over to Lim Teck Kim, with slightly nicer surroundings (air conditioned with real plates). They've also got a couple other locations, including Race Course Road in Little India.

9 comments:

Tym said...

Yeah, cheap and good North Indian food is not easy to find in Singapore. Another good place (coffeeshop) is at the corner of Serangoon Road and Norris Road.

Butter naan is tasty, but I love me the garlic naan best of all!

O.E.B. said...

Hey there,I'm also blogging alot of the food I eat using my cameraphone. I think you need a better cameraphone. It seemed that most of your photos looked kinda blueish. I'm currently using Sony Ericsson K700I and its great for short distance shots. Next phone I'm aiming will be the K750i

venitha said...

Okay, I'm hungry. Thanks for all the S'pore food tips - I'm always looking for good and cheap recommendations!

bma said...

Yeah I find the biggest challenge is shooting in low-light conditions (dinner time!). Turning on the flash just makes it worse as it ruins the contrast. How is the K700i for low-light nearly-macro shots?

Tym said...

Ignore my earlier tip on the North Indian place on Norris. My parents tell me it's not there anymore...

Anonymous said...

the norris road north indian place is still there alright. it has the most amazing tandoori chicken anywhere in the world! moist and juicy. chargrilled just right you can still taste the yoghurt marinade.

very good also is the coffee shop right across from it. real hole in the wall place with excellant chapatis and keama. to die for!!!

Anonymous said...

There is really good butter chicken along the same stretch at a restaurant called Delhi's ? Its very pricey though , and i thought the butter chicken was the only good thing there. But the Naan and jaggi's is really good!

Anonymous said...

Nothing like the real butter chickens in India.....jaggis is a pooooor reflection....
the ready-to-eats taste better than his concoctions

Trial Blazer said...

Yes Jaggi is undisputed king of Punjabi food. There is another stall at Pya Lebar Post Office food court (in basement), but I've not found another one who can beet jaggi on price or quality.